Our Hindi Film Industry loves chemistry. Let’s be more specific. Hindi Film Industry loves “Formula”. The formula for Success to be even more specific. Since the success of Dangal, Neerja, MS Dhoni and many such biopics at the box office, it looks like the Bollywood writers have got their new success Mantra. There are more than 15 Biopics that are announced for next 2 years, out of with 13 are most probably going to release in 2018. This figure doesn’t include the biopics which are not officially announced.
Let’s see the list of these 13 Movies which will make 2018 – A Year of Biopics in Bollywood.
1. Accidental Prime Minister – In this Biopic Anupam Kher is going to play the Ex-Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The film is based on the 2014 memoir of the same name by Sanjaya Baru. It is directed by Vijay Gutte who is turning Director from this but the interesting aspect is that Hansal Mehta is writing it for the screen who has earlier made Shahid which was also a biopic based on the life of Lawyer Shahid Azmi. What we can’t wait is to see the casting apart from Anupam Kher. I mean who is going to play Mrs. Sonia Gandhi?
2. Super 30- This is under talk for a long time. Queen Director Vikas Bahl has taken rights from Anand Kumar to make a Biopic on his life. Anand Kumar, who is a renowned mathematician and teacher running a special school for underprivileged kids since 2002. With More than 390 students from his institute has been selected to IIT colleges, Mr. Anand gains international glory with even Discovery covered him in one of its documentaries. As far as we know, Hrithik Roshan is going to play Anand Kumar.
3. Manikarnika- With this Biopic, the Queen of our industry is literally turning into a Queen on screen. Kangana Ranaut is all set to play “Rani Laxmi Bai” in Manikarnika- The Queen Of Jhansi. Many of us have doubt about the title but Manikarnika was the original name of Rani Laxmi Bai, which makers have decided to pick as the main title. Earlier Sushmita Sen also tried to make a Biopic on the life of warrior queen of Jhansi but for some reasons, the film got shelved. Later, Ketan Mehta tried it for a long time. Allegedly, He even approached Kangana to play the title role. But now, We can see that Krish is directing this film whereas Bahubali Writer Mr. Vijayendra Prasad is writing the screenplay. TV Actress Ankita Lokhande is also going to play an important role in this feature. It was long due for Bollywood to make a movie on Legendary Laxmi Bai. We just hope it matches our expectations.
4. Gold- Based on the life of legendary hockey player Balbir Singh Sr., This Biopic covers the story of the first Gold Medal win by independent India in Olympics Games. This is a comeback film of director Reema Kagti who has earlier directed Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd and Talaash. The most interesting part of the project is that Akshay Kumar is collaborating with Excel Entertainment for the first time. This is gonna be one epic historical sports drama.
5. Soorma – Another Hockey Drama but this time a bit contemporary story. Soorma is based on the life of legendary hockey player Sandeep Singh who was paralyzed and wheelchair-bound for 2 years after an accidental gunshot injured him in 2006. The film’s tagline is “The Greatest Comeback Story of the Hockey Legend Sandeep Singh”. Fighting against all odds, Sandeep got back on his feet and made a stunning comeback in 2008. India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2009 under his captainship and went on to qualify for the London Olympics 2012. Casting can’t be perfect – Diljit Dosanjh and Taapsee Pannu. The film is directed by Shaad Ali, yes Saathiya and Okay Jaanu’s director.
6. Rakesh Sharma Biopic- India’s first cosmonaut – First man to go into space from India. We all know his name- Rakesh Sharma but we don’t know the story behind this man. Siddharth Roy Kapur is producing this film. Aamir Khan and Priyanka Chopra was supposed to do this film together but the latest development is that Aamir has walkred out of the project and now Shahrukh Khan is going to play the title role. Whatever is the cast going to be, We hope that we will see this film in 2018 only. Though chances are bleak.
7. Pad Man- According to Wikipedia, Arunachalam Muruganatham is a social entrepreneur from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. He is the inventor of a low-cost sanitary pad making machine and is credited for innovating grass-roots mechanisms for generating awareness about traditional unhygienic practices around menstruation in rural India. His mini-machines, which can manufacture sanitary pads for less than a third of the cost of commercial pads, have been installed in 23 of the 29 states of India. He is currently planning to expand the production of these machines to 106 nations. In 2014, TIME magazine placed him on its list of 100 Most Influential People in the World. In 2016, he was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India. Supposedly Twinkle Khanna chased him to get the right of his story. R. Balki has written the screenplay and directing this project. But interestingly a movie named “phullu” which got released unceremoniously has a very similar storyline.
8. Padmavati- Lot of people won’t accept this as a viable entry in this list as there is no historical proof of the existence of Rani Padmini of Chittor. But even if we ignore this fact, Padmavati has many real-life characters like Khilji and Ratan Singh. Though Padmavati is supposed to release on 1 Dec 2017 but then we all know what has happened. We just hope that film gets a proper release in 2018. Can’t you see Deepika in PRAYER MODE? Jokes apart! We want to watch it because end of the day it’s a Bhansali’s Film.
9. Dutt/Sanju- Sanjay Dutt’s Life story Plus Raj Kumar Hirani as Writer and Director and for the first time trying something out of his comfort zone. Plus Ranbir Kapoor playing the title role. Do we need more reasons to wait for this? Love, Thrill, Action, Drama, Ups, and Downs, This is gonna be one of the most anticipating films of 2018. I just hope that it matches to our expectations.
10. Gustakhiyan- We all heard about the famous Love Story of Sahir Ludhyanvi and Amrita Pritam but we definitely don’t know the whole story. Sanjay Leela Bhansali has announced this film with Priyanka Chopra long ago. Shahrukh Khan was supposed to play Sahir but then again there are obvious reasons that we are not going to see Shahrukh and Priyanka together on screen in near future. Most probably Sushant Singh Rajput is going to play Sahir now as per the rumors.
11. Mogul- Gulshan Kumar, the cassette king of India. His start was full of struggle but then his success was tremendous but his end was equally tragic. His company T Series is still biggest music company in India. Akshay Kumar is going to play the title role. This is going to be the second film of Akshay and Subhash Kapoor together after Jolly LLB2. We just hope that they don’t cut away the controversial side of his story and even try to throw a bit light on his murder.
12. Manto- The film stars Nawazuddin Siddiqui in the title character of the Indo-Pakistani author, writer Saadat Hasan Manto. Rasika Duggal plays the role of Manto’s wife named Safiah. The film is written and Directed by Nandita Das. Manto was a Pakistani writer, playwright, and author considered among the greatest writers of short stories in South Asian history. Though he was more famous for his controversial thoughts and portrayals of society. Das made a short film titled In Defence of Freedom, also starring Nawazuddin in the main role, and was released on YouTube on 23 March 2017. It was made as a prelude to the feature film. Believe me, the short film is good enough to raise the curiosity.
13. Thackray- We all know about the Late Bala Saheb Thackray. His control over the politics of Maharashtra was undoubtful. But no one ever tried to show his Biopic on screen before. Though Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar was inspired by him. But that was definitely more of a “Godfather’s” Indian remake than Thackray’s Biopic. This time it’s official and the expectations are sky high since we saw the teaser and Nawazuddin playing Bala Saheb with uncanny similarities.
We just hope that this formula works for Indian Cinema.
PS: We don’t mind to see some complete fictions too.Though we have another list where we have listed a full set of Biographies we would love to see on Indian Screen. Click on this link –
Latest posts by Saurabh Bharat (see all)
- 11 Best Written Characters Of 2017 Which Are Going To Stay With Us - January 3, 2018
- 13 Up Coming Movies Which Will Make 2018 A Year of Biopics - December 24, 2017
- Jagga Jasoos was 2017 Best Edited Film and It won! - December 20, 2017