2017 is over with too much of disappointment from the film industry. Still few out of the box films made a mark on box office and in our hearts too. Among these movies we found many amazing characters who made us laugh, cry and inspired too. We relate to them as they belong to us. Let’s just go through few special characters from Bollywood we saw on screen this year.
1. Jagga & Tooti Footi – (Ranbir Kapoor & Saswata Chatterjee – Jagga Jasoos) – He may have resemblance with Tintin but the no one can deny that this Indian Version of Tintin played by Ranbir Kapoor is not any less adorable and lovable than the original. After creating Barfi, Ranbir and Anurag Basu had this huge expectation of creating something far more lovable. With Jagga they might have failed at the box office but they are pretty successful in creating a character who is in search of his foster father played by Saswata Chatterjee. With speech disorder and singing all along while solving the teeth clenching mysterious, Jagga and Tooti Footi were one of the most adorable couples on the screen this year. Best Moment was when Tooti Footi teaches Jagga about the Right and the left side of the brain.
2. Sulu / Sulochna : (Vidya Balan – Tumharai Sulu) – “Main kar sakti hai” – When Vidya Balan who was playing, “A Happy Enthusiastic housewife Sulu” says this on screen, we all feel like doing things which we always wanted to do from so long but never got that amount of bravery and courage to pursue that. Definitely, this one character that writer and director Suresh Triveni built for Vidya Balan and the honesty that Vidya delivers on the screen uplifts the half-baked screenplay wonderfully. Whether the movie stays with you for long or not, this saree clad late-night Radio Jockey Sulu is definitely going to stay with us for a longer time. Best Moment – When Sulu don’t give a damn about the race but wants the lemon not to fall from the spoon in the lemon race. She doesn’t mind coming second but she wants to do it right!
3. Bua Ji ( Ratna Pathak Shah – Lipstick Under My Burkha ) – Though it was the year of strong female characters and this out of the box film itself have 3 other distinct female characters, Bua ji played by Ratna Pathak Shah just stands out of the league. She is not a rebel neither she is revolutionary, what makes you feel what she feels is the simplicity of her desires. Writer-Director Alankrita Shrivastava can’t deny that might be Bua ji was the best part of the whole film. What makes this character one of the most unforgettable characters? Well now you will start looking at Bua Ji’s around you and you will be more sensitive towards their loneliness.
4. Newton & Aatma Singh – (Raj Kumar Rao & Pankaj Tripathi – Newton) – Nutan Kumar picks the gun of Aatma Singh and waits for last few seconds of the voting hour to finish. In those few seconds, You are also standing there and deciding in your brains, where are these two characters flawed and where are they not? Well to me, Newton was not just the story of Newton but about these two characters which were played so honestly that it reflects on the screen. No doubt when you leave the theater, the song – “Chal Tu Apna Ka Kar” keeps going in the loop in your head but that’s because of the writing by Amit V Marsurkar and Mayank Tewari which justifies the two side of the coin just like that only.
5. Preetam Vidrohi (Raj Kumar Rao – Bareily Ki Barfi ) – This Year can easily be tagged as “The Year of Raj Kumar Rao”. But the success of this brilliant actor relies on the roles written for him or the roles he chose. This was definitely a year for writers, if not so- Why would producers but writers name (Nitesh Tiwari and Shreyas Jain) at the very start of the trailer. Believe me, this is a rare thing and happy to know that the makers realized the power of writing here. Though this cannot take away the marvelous almost split personality performance by Rajkumar Rao who single-handedly stole the whole show in the second half of the movie. Pritam Vidrohiis amazing but still somewhere not justified between Bitti and Chirag’s love story. Can we have a spin-off of Preetam?
6. Shyam Prakash (Deepak Dobriyal – Hindi Medium) – Saket Chaudhary’s Hindi Medium was definitely one of the most surprisingly entertaining and successful films of the year. Where you love Irfan Khan and Saba’s chemistry one thing that just can’t leave you for a long time was Shyam Prakash’s character. A simple struggling common man with dreams and aspirations who just jumps in front of an expensive car to get some money for his friend – This guy steals your heart and then breaks it too. What Mr. Irrfan Khan has achieved after so much of struggle in the industry, Deepak Dobriyal deserves no less than that.
7. Anarkali ( Swara Bhaskar – Anarkali Of Aarah ) – A year ago only we saw a brilliant film about consent – PINK and this year it was Anarkali of Aarah but this one stands out more for the character and the performance of Swara Bhaskar as Anarkali. She just disappeared in those flashy attires and transformed into Anarkali who is okay to sing double songs and even sleep around with other men but only when she likes it. Her voice is crystal clear when it comes to her consent. Swara as Anarkali is definitely one of the most powerful performances of the year.
8. Najma (Meher Vij – Secret Superstar) – We have so many outrageously brave women on the screen so far but that’s not a reality. There is still a big number of females who find it difficult to find their voice in the environment they are living. Still, they never let their ambitions and dreams to go in the vain. Najma of Secret Superstar represents this majority of the females in our society beautifully. Finding the right balance between many a thing they are juggling with Meher Vij portrayal of this mother who is torn between the husband and the daughter is definitely one of the most relatable characters for the majority of the audience and that’s what I think transformed into the unexpected success of this movie.
9. Praful Patel ( Kangana Ranaut – Simran) – Though there was a huge fight for the credits of the screenplay of this film between Apurva Asrani and Kangana Ranaut before the film, I am more interested in knowing who has actually shaped the character of Praful Patel. How much it was written by Apurva and how much was improvised by Kangana? Because that’s the best part of the movie. Praful is unapologetic about herself. Her definition of success is not defined by society but by the achievement of the things she wants to achieve. Yet she is fun even in her darkest times. Creating such character is not easy because as an audience one may tend to dislike her or stay apathetic towards her but no! You like Praful and you want her to be successful. Though you also want her to stop doing silly things at the same time, you never stop rooting for her. That’s where Simran was a successful film for me.
10. Justice Surendra Lal Tripathi ( Jolly LLB 2) – We have seen Justice Tripathi in Jolly LLB earlier and we loved him. Writer-Director Subhash Kapoor knows this fact and hence in this installment even though it has superstar Akshay Kumar playing Jolly, he gave an ample space to Justice Tripathi’s character flourish. From Showing the typical human side of Tripathi to be the stubborn voice of reason Justice Tripathi, in my opinion, going to be one of the most echoed characters of the decade and the reason doesn’t rely completely upon the writing. It’s Sourabh Shukla’s class act which takes this character to another height. Best Moment – When Justice Tripathi sits on an Anshan in his own courtroom.
11. Shutu (Vikrant Massey/ A Death at the Gunj) – Last but definitely not the least! Shutu is that one sensitive guy who is always there around us but always effortlessly and unconsciously able to disappear in the rude and cruel insensitive world. Vikrant Massey brings out the nuances and insecurities of Shutu so palpable that without even saying many dialogues you feel what he is feeling. No doubt the writer Konkana Sen Sharma picked up this unusual tale of Shutu to debut as Director and then chose Vikrant as the lead among the sea of fabulous actors as an ensemble.
Let us know which one stayed with you. Have we missed any other character?
Our Hindi Film Industry loves chemistry. Let’s be more specific. Hindi Film Industry loves “Formula”. The formula for Success to be even more specific. Since the success of Dangal, Neerja, MS Dhoni and many such biopics at the box office, it looks like the Bollywood writers have got their new success Mantra. There are more than 15 Biopics that are announced for next 2 years, out of with 13 are most probably going to release in 2018. This figure doesn’t include the biopics which are not officially announced.
Let’s see the list of these 13 Movies which will make 2018 – A Year of Biopics in Bollywood.
1. Accidental Prime Minister – In this Biopic Anupam Kher is going to play the Ex-Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The film is based on the 2014 memoir of the same name by Sanjaya Baru. It is directed by Vijay Gutte who is turning Director from this but the interesting aspect is that Hansal Mehta is writing it for the screen who has earlier made Shahid which was also a biopic based on the life of Lawyer Shahid Azmi. What we can’t wait is to see the casting apart from Anupam Kher. I mean who is going to play Mrs. Sonia Gandhi?
2. Super 30- This is under talk for a long time. Queen Director Vikas Bahl has taken rights from Anand Kumar to make a Biopic on his life. Anand Kumar, who is a renowned mathematician and teacher running a special school for underprivileged kids since 2002. With More than 390 students from his institute has been selected to IIT colleges, Mr. Anand gains international glory with even Discovery covered him in one of its documentaries. As far as we know, Hrithik Roshan is going to play Anand Kumar.
3. Manikarnika- With this Biopic, the Queen of our industry is literally turning into a Queen on screen. Kangana Ranaut is all set to play “Rani Laxmi Bai” in Manikarnika- The Queen Of Jhansi. Many of us have doubt about the title but Manikarnika was the original name of Rani Laxmi Bai, which makers have decided to pick as the main title. Earlier Sushmita Sen also tried to make a Biopic on the life of warrior queen of Jhansi but for some reasons, the film got shelved. Later, Ketan Mehta tried it for a long time. Allegedly, He even approached Kangana to play the title role. But now, We can see that Krish is directing this film whereas Bahubali Writer Mr. Vijayendra Prasad is writing the screenplay. TV Actress Ankita Lokhande is also going to play an important role in this feature. It was long due for Bollywood to make a movie on Legendary Laxmi Bai. We just hope it matches our expectations.
4. Gold- Based on the life of legendary hockey player Balbir Singh Sr., This Biopic covers the story of the first Gold Medal win by independent India in Olympics Games. This is a comeback film of director Reema Kagti who has earlier directed Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd and Talaash. The most interesting part of the project is that Akshay Kumar is collaborating with Excel Entertainment for the first time. This is gonna be one epic historical sports drama.
5. Soorma – Another Hockey Drama but this time a bit contemporary story. Soorma is based on the life of legendary hockey player Sandeep Singh who was paralyzed and wheelchair-bound for 2 years after an accidental gunshot injured him in 2006. The film’s tagline is “The Greatest Comeback Story of the Hockey Legend Sandeep Singh”. Fighting against all odds, Sandeep got back on his feet and made a stunning comeback in 2008. India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2009 under his captainship and went on to qualify for the London Olympics 2012. Casting can’t be perfect – Diljit Dosanjh and Taapsee Pannu. The film is directed by Shaad Ali, yes Saathiya and Okay Jaanu’s director.
6. Rakesh Sharma Biopic- India’s first cosmonaut – First man to go into space from India. We all know his name- Rakesh Sharma but we don’t know the story behind this man. Siddharth Roy Kapur is producing this film. Aamir Khan and Priyanka Chopra was supposed to do this film together but the latest development is that Aamir has walkred out of the project and now Shahrukh Khan is going to play the title role. Whatever is the cast going to be, We hope that we will see this film in 2018 only. Though chances are bleak.
7. Pad Man- According to Wikipedia, Arunachalam Muruganatham is a social entrepreneur from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. He is the inventor of a low-cost sanitary pad making machine and is credited for innovating grass-roots mechanisms for generating awareness about traditional unhygienic practices around menstruation in rural India. His mini-machines, which can manufacture sanitary pads for less than a third of the cost of commercial pads, have been installed in 23 of the 29 states of India. He is currently planning to expand the production of these machines to 106 nations. In 2014, TIME magazine placed him on its list of 100 Most Influential People in the World. In 2016, he was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India. Supposedly Twinkle Khanna chased him to get the right of his story. R. Balki has written the screenplay and directing this project. But interestingly a movie named “phullu” which got released unceremoniously has a very similar storyline.
8. Padmavati- Lot of people won’t accept this as a viable entry in this list as there is no historical proof of the existence of Rani Padmini of Chittor. But even if we ignore this fact, Padmavati has many real-life characters like Khilji and Ratan Singh. Though Padmavati is supposed to release on 1 Dec 2017 but then we all know what has happened. We just hope that film gets a proper release in 2018. Can’t you see Deepika in PRAYER MODE? Jokes apart! We want to watch it because end of the day it’s a Bhansali’s Film.
9. Dutt/Sanju- Sanjay Dutt’s Life story Plus Raj Kumar Hirani as Writer and Director and for the first time trying something out of his comfort zone. Plus Ranbir Kapoor playing the title role. Do we need more reasons to wait for this? Love, Thrill, Action, Drama, Ups, and Downs, This is gonna be one of the most anticipating films of 2018. I just hope that it matches to our expectations.
10. Gustakhiyan- We all heard about the famous Love Story of Sahir Ludhyanvi and Amrita Pritam but we definitely don’t know the whole story. Sanjay Leela Bhansali has announced this film with Priyanka Chopra long ago. Shahrukh Khan was supposed to play Sahir but then again there are obvious reasons that we are not going to see Shahrukh and Priyanka together on screen in near future. Most probably Sushant Singh Rajput is going to play Sahir now as per the rumors.
11. Mogul- Gulshan Kumar, the cassette king of India. His start was full of struggle but then his success was tremendous but his end was equally tragic. His company T Series is still biggest music company in India. Akshay Kumar is going to play the title role. This is going to be the second film of Akshay and Subhash Kapoor together after Jolly LLB2. We just hope that they don’t cut away the controversial side of his story and even try to throw a bit light on his murder.
12. Manto- The film stars Nawazuddin Siddiqui in the title character of the Indo-Pakistani author, writer Saadat Hasan Manto. Rasika Duggal plays the role of Manto’s wife named Safiah. The film is written and Directed by Nandita Das. Manto was a Pakistani writer, playwright, and author considered among the greatest writers of short stories in South Asian history. Though he was more famous for his controversial thoughts and portrayals of society. Das made a short film titled In Defence of Freedom, also starring Nawazuddin in the main role, and was released on YouTube on 23 March 2017. It was made as a prelude to the feature film. Believe me, the short film is good enough to raise the curiosity.
13. Thackray- We all know about the Late Bala Saheb Thackray. His control over the politics of Maharashtra was undoubtful. But no one ever tried to show his Biopic on screen before. Though Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar was inspired by him. But that was definitely more of a “Godfather’s” Indian remake than Thackray’s Biopic. This time it’s official and the expectations are sky high since we saw the teaser and Nawazuddin playing Bala Saheb with uncanny similarities.
We just hope that this formula works for Indian Cinema.
PS: We don’t mind to see some complete fictions too.Though we have another list where we have listed a full set of Biographies we would love to see on Indian Screen. Click on this link –
Biographies That Should Have Been Made In Bollywood
As Prasoon Joshi said – “Yeh Shehar Nahi Mehfil hai”, Dilli is always a fascinating cilli for Mumbai walla Filmmakers and hence many of the films tries to depicts the various sides of this amazing city.
No One Killed Jessica
“Kaat kaleja le gayi… Dilli“. Most real and hardcore description of Delhi and people living there. How the powerful people with the political approach can easily get away with a murder in our capital as the privileged high society was not brave enough to say the truth. Raj Kumar Gupta’s thriller is derived from the true incident and shows the cruel and rebellious side of Delhi.
2. Rang De Basanti – In this epic cinema directed by Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra takes us on the campus of Delhi University and then throw us on the road of activism which is quite prevalent around the monuments like Jantar Mantar and India Gate. The depiction of the Delhi youth is aptly mad and inspiring at the same time. It beautifully depicts the relevance of Bhagat Singh without getting over patriotic or delusional.
3. Dilli 6 – Again a Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Film. There is a saying – “You can take a man out of his city, but you cannot take the city of a man.” Mehra’s Delhi 6 is clearly exemplifying this fact. Though it focuses majorly a particular area of Delhi called Delhi 6, it still brings out the madness and the uniqueness of this metro city. Don’t we all love and sing this song in past – “Yeh Dilli Mere Yaar, Bas Ishq Mohabbat Pyaar”.
4. Delhi Belly- A gangster, Some Diamonds, A box of shit and madness of Delhi Nights. This madcap screenplay of Akshat Verma took a long time to get picked by producers but it definitely a satirical take on Delhi’s culture. Coming closer to the “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron” ‘s humor level, Delhi Belly may not be the most realistic picture of Delhi but somewhat is definitely relatable.
5. Khosla Ka Ghosla- This fabulous National Award winning satire written by Jaideep Sahni is no less than a masterpiece. It marvelously explores the aspirations of a middle-class family living in New Delhi and how this capital is captured by land mafias. From a great ensemble to the depiction of the city, Dibaker Banerjee nailed it in this movie.
6. Do Doni Chaar – Do you remember Duggal Sir’s scooter going around on the roads of the city of Delhi? Well if you have watched this one of the best-written films by Habib Faisal you can’t forget Duggal Family, their colony and their aspiration to get a 4 wheeler. Again the middle-class picturization of the city is perfect and entertaining in this super entertaining flick which was a comeback of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh on the cinema screen after a gap of decades.
7. Rockstar – Though this love story of a Rockstar travels many parts of the world, there is a huge part shot in Delhi and it beautifully captures the spots where lovebirds try to spend their time in this bustling city. Don’t you start singing “Ting Ling Ling” from “Katiya Karoon”.
8. Band Baja Baarat – You can’t finish talking about Delhi If are not talking about the Big Fat Wedding Functions of the city. Lights, Music, Dance, Booze and madness writer Habib Faizal picks everything of Delhi Weddings and put it in a narrative of Bittu and Shruti. From Janakpuri to Chhatarpur Gardens this film covers it all.
9. Aisha – Where most of the films cover the lower class and middle class of the capital, Aisha is a beautiful take on relationships of the upper-class society of Delhi. Aisha and her bunch of friends is a clear depiction of what city’s rich youngsters are usually up to and yes also the class theme weddings plus shopping!!!!
10 . Oye Lucky Lucky Oye – Another gem by Dibaker Banerjee which captures the twisted side of Delhi through the eyes of a thief. You will not only get on the roads of Delhi but also inside the houses of Delhi along with Lucky.
Have we missed anything? Please let us know in the comments!
You may have watched these films many times but do you know that sometimes due to various reasons the editors and makers of these films have taken out some scenes from the final theatrical release? Well sometimes they are not just required and sometimes just because of the excessive length of the film, editors have to take such harsh decisions. We have handpicked here 8 of such scenes which you would love to watch!
- TAMASHA – IMTIAZ ALI – This one scene between Ved and Tara brings out the complexities of their relationship so beautifully that it leaves you speechless for few seconds. Ranbir Kapoor prooves that why even after so many debacles at Box Office, he is the best we have got.
2. DEAR ZINDAGI -GAURI SHINDE – Gauri Shinde who won Best Debutant Director from her first film English Vinglish always writes her own films. In her second venture she picked a story of an utterly complicated character which you may find a bit irritating and unlikable sometimes but in this particular scene which was edited out of the final cut, she says what we all want to say at the certain point of time in our lives. Alia Bhatt nailed it!
3. ENGLISH VINGLISH – GAURI SHINDE – We were just talking about Shinde but we can’t finish talking that without talking about English Vinglish. There were so many moments in this beautiful film and many of them just can’t make its final cut. The journey of Shashi (Sridevi) is as adorable as these edited scenes.
4. YEH JAWANI HAI DIWANI – AYAN MUKHERJI – Though one may think that Ayan’s better-written work was “Wake Up Sid”, His second venture “Yeh Jawaani Hai Diwani” has it’s own moments. One very beautiful moment was edited out of the final cut. Loved the philosphy yet simplicity of this scene.
5. LAGAAN – ASHUTOSH GOWARIKAR – This Oscar Nominated movie was no less than a master class of cinema. Though was a sports cinema but it has theatrics and music at the right place which makes it as Bollywood as anything else. Watch this piece of the scene where the ensemble is singing and practicing for the cricket match.
6. SHOLAY – RAMESH SIPPY – So here comes the most awaited one. We all know everything about this cult classic. There is nothing which is unknown to the Indian Cinema lovers about Sholay. We all knew about the alternative ending of Sholay but have you watched it? Here it is!
7. BAND BAAJA BARAAT – MANISH SHARMA – If we look back to this film, it was a very important film as it gave us the two biggest stars of the present time – Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma. The story of Shruti and Bittu has many relatable yet adorable moments but some of them were taken out from the final cut. Here are they.
8. KAL HO NAA HO – NIKHIL ADVANI – Many would disagree with me, but I think this was the best-written film by Karan Johar. The ensemble and the performances everything was so lovable. We can’t get enough of Kal Ho Naa Ho. So let’s have some more. PS: You will see Zohara Sehgal and Kamini Kaushal also.
9. SWADES- ASHUTOSH GOWARIKAR – There are only two types of people in this world. One who likes “Swades” and one who does not understand Swades. There was a very beautiful song composed by AR Rahmaan – Aahista Aahista which was not in the final cut of the film but I highly recommend you to listen to this before you go to bed. Nostalgia Guaranteed!
Tells us if we have missed anything.