So I have watched Kung Fu Panda for the 80th time yesterday and hence was repeating a few of the quotes while watching it. I am sure those quotes are no less than a “Life Lessons” from some great guru! Here are what I have compiled.
Let us know which one is your favorite. Mine is all of them.
2017 is over with too much of disappointment from the film industry. Still few out of the box films made a mark on box office and in our hearts too. Among these movies we found many amazing characters who made us laugh, cry and inspired too. We relate to them as they belong to us. Let’s just go through few special characters from Bollywood we saw on screen this year.
1. Jagga & Tooti Footi – (Ranbir Kapoor & Saswata Chatterjee – Jagga Jasoos) – He may have resemblance with Tintin but the no one can deny that this Indian Version of Tintin played by Ranbir Kapoor is not any less adorable and lovable than the original. After creating Barfi, Ranbir and Anurag Basu had this huge expectation of creating something far more lovable. With Jagga they might have failed at the box office but they are pretty successful in creating a character who is in search of his foster father played by Saswata Chatterjee. With speech disorder and singing all along while solving the teeth clenching mysterious, Jagga and Tooti Footi were one of the most adorable couples on the screen this year. Best Moment was when Tooti Footi teaches Jagga about the Right and the left side of the brain.
2. Sulu / Sulochna : (Vidya Balan – Tumharai Sulu) – “Main kar sakti hai” – When Vidya Balan who was playing, “A Happy Enthusiastic housewife Sulu” says this on screen, we all feel like doing things which we always wanted to do from so long but never got that amount of bravery and courage to pursue that. Definitely, this one character that writer and director Suresh Triveni built for Vidya Balan and the honesty that Vidya delivers on the screen uplifts the half-baked screenplay wonderfully. Whether the movie stays with you for long or not, this saree clad late-night Radio Jockey Sulu is definitely going to stay with us for a longer time. Best Moment – When Sulu don’t give a damn about the race but wants the lemon not to fall from the spoon in the lemon race. She doesn’t mind coming second but she wants to do it right!
3. Bua Ji ( Ratna Pathak Shah – Lipstick Under My Burkha ) – Though it was the year of strong female characters and this out of the box film itself have 3 other distinct female characters, Bua ji played by Ratna Pathak Shah just stands out of the league. She is not a rebel neither she is revolutionary, what makes you feel what she feels is the simplicity of her desires. Writer-Director Alankrita Shrivastava can’t deny that might be Bua ji was the best part of the whole film. What makes this character one of the most unforgettable characters? Well now you will start looking at Bua Ji’s around you and you will be more sensitive towards their loneliness.
4. Newton & Aatma Singh – (Raj Kumar Rao & Pankaj Tripathi – Newton) – Nutan Kumar picks the gun of Aatma Singh and waits for last few seconds of the voting hour to finish. In those few seconds, You are also standing there and deciding in your brains, where are these two characters flawed and where are they not? Well to me, Newton was not just the story of Newton but about these two characters which were played so honestly that it reflects on the screen. No doubt when you leave the theater, the song – “Chal Tu Apna Ka Kar” keeps going in the loop in your head but that’s because of the writing by Amit V Marsurkar and Mayank Tewari which justifies the two side of the coin just like that only.
5. Preetam Vidrohi (Raj Kumar Rao – Bareily Ki Barfi ) – This Year can easily be tagged as “The Year of Raj Kumar Rao”. But the success of this brilliant actor relies on the roles written for him or the roles he chose. This was definitely a year for writers, if not so- Why would producers but writers name (Nitesh Tiwari and Shreyas Jain) at the very start of the trailer. Believe me, this is a rare thing and happy to know that the makers realized the power of writing here. Though this cannot take away the marvelous almost split personality performance by Rajkumar Rao who single-handedly stole the whole show in the second half of the movie. Pritam Vidrohiis amazing but still somewhere not justified between Bitti and Chirag’s love story. Can we have a spin-off of Preetam?
6. Shyam Prakash (Deepak Dobriyal – Hindi Medium) – Saket Chaudhary’s Hindi Medium was definitely one of the most surprisingly entertaining and successful films of the year. Where you love Irfan Khan and Saba’s chemistry one thing that just can’t leave you for a long time was Shyam Prakash’s character. A simple struggling common man with dreams and aspirations who just jumps in front of an expensive car to get some money for his friend – This guy steals your heart and then breaks it too. What Mr. Irrfan Khan has achieved after so much of struggle in the industry, Deepak Dobriyal deserves no less than that.
7. Anarkali ( Swara Bhaskar – Anarkali Of Aarah ) – A year ago only we saw a brilliant film about consent – PINK and this year it was Anarkali of Aarah but this one stands out more for the character and the performance of Swara Bhaskar as Anarkali. She just disappeared in those flashy attires and transformed into Anarkali who is okay to sing double songs and even sleep around with other men but only when she likes it. Her voice is crystal clear when it comes to her consent. Swara as Anarkali is definitely one of the most powerful performances of the year.
8. Najma (Meher Vij – Secret Superstar) – We have so many outrageously brave women on the screen so far but that’s not a reality. There is still a big number of females who find it difficult to find their voice in the environment they are living. Still, they never let their ambitions and dreams to go in the vain. Najma of Secret Superstar represents this majority of the females in our society beautifully. Finding the right balance between many a thing they are juggling with Meher Vij portrayal of this mother who is torn between the husband and the daughter is definitely one of the most relatable characters for the majority of the audience and that’s what I think transformed into the unexpected success of this movie.
9. Praful Patel ( Kangana Ranaut – Simran) – Though there was a huge fight for the credits of the screenplay of this film between Apurva Asrani and Kangana Ranaut before the film, I am more interested in knowing who has actually shaped the character of Praful Patel. How much it was written by Apurva and how much was improvised by Kangana? Because that’s the best part of the movie. Praful is unapologetic about herself. Her definition of success is not defined by society but by the achievement of the things she wants to achieve. Yet she is fun even in her darkest times. Creating such character is not easy because as an audience one may tend to dislike her or stay apathetic towards her but no! You like Praful and you want her to be successful. Though you also want her to stop doing silly things at the same time, you never stop rooting for her. That’s where Simran was a successful film for me.
10. Justice Surendra Lal Tripathi ( Jolly LLB 2) – We have seen Justice Tripathi in Jolly LLB earlier and we loved him. Writer-Director Subhash Kapoor knows this fact and hence in this installment even though it has superstar Akshay Kumar playing Jolly, he gave an ample space to Justice Tripathi’s character flourish. From Showing the typical human side of Tripathi to be the stubborn voice of reason Justice Tripathi, in my opinion, going to be one of the most echoed characters of the decade and the reason doesn’t rely completely upon the writing. It’s Sourabh Shukla’s class act which takes this character to another height. Best Moment – When Justice Tripathi sits on an Anshan in his own courtroom.
11. Shutu (Vikrant Massey/ A Death at the Gunj) – Last but definitely not the least! Shutu is that one sensitive guy who is always there around us but always effortlessly and unconsciously able to disappear in the rude and cruel insensitive world. Vikrant Massey brings out the nuances and insecurities of Shutu so palpable that without even saying many dialogues you feel what he is feeling. No doubt the writer Konkana Sen Sharma picked up this unusual tale of Shutu to debut as Director and then chose Vikrant as the lead among the sea of fabulous actors as an ensemble.
Let us know which one stayed with you. Have we missed any other character?
We all know her as one of the most versatile and bold female actor who made her mark among critics and boxoffice especially in patriarchal Industry. She carries the capability to make a hit on her own shoulder without any “Khan” or “Kapoor”. She just need a great story and amazing character to play on screen and she will amaze you like never before. VIDYA BALAN. Lets talk about some of her “Out of the Box” Characters played by her.
Vidya Bagchi or whatever her real name was, she was the real meaning of durga in the movie. She came like an innocent pregnant woman who was searching for her husband and later she came out as the real box of secrets. Only vidya knows how to handle a character with so many layers.
She decides not to be a victim when she got pregnant. She decides to give birth to her baby without getting married. She decides to complete her studies while she was pregnant. She decides to take care of her child independently. She is the face of modern Indian women, who doesn’t need any man to complete her.
Reshma- The Dirty Picture
In this whole pretentious world, if you are asked to play a character who says whatever going through her mind then it become something so bold that cannot be carry on screen without killing your all inhibitions. Vidya while playing Silk was so fierce that it was very difficult for so-called broad minded males to accept this character. Standing Ovation for Vidya to Play something that no actress ever dared to play on screen.
Sabrina- No One Killed Jessica
Playing real-life character on screen is always challenging as it will always be compared with real one. But Vidya knows how to get into the skin of the character. If you watch this movie again then pay yours to vidya’s body language, her walking gait, her silent expressions and especially her dialogue delivery. That’s the sign of a classic actor to create a character on screen.
Sulochna – Tumhari Sulu
“Main Kar Sakti Hai” Definitely only Vidya can do that. Playing a fat, married, uneducated, housewife and still, we all are hooked into her story. Tumhari sulu was all about the sulu which brought to life by Vidya. The most entertaining character played by her on screen.
Ya that was not a lead role but playing a character who is handicapped but still have her own vision, ambitions, desire and especially perspective is a tricky thing. On the very initial time of her career, she chooses an unattractive supporting character to play but didn’t we loved her in this movie?
This was the most layered character she played on screen. Krishna seemed to be sympathetic but actually having secondary motives. A window who was horny at times. Sarcastic and fearless. She knows how to play with peoples emotions. Vidya played Krishna as like no one can do it better than her. Unapologetically.
Our Hindi Film Industry loves chemistry. Let’s be more specific. Hindi Film Industry loves “Formula”. The formula for Success to be even more specific. Since the success of Dangal, Neerja, MS Dhoni and many such biopics at the box office, it looks like the Bollywood writers have got their new success Mantra. There are more than 15 Biopics that are announced for next 2 years, out of with 13 are most probably going to release in 2018. This figure doesn’t include the biopics which are not officially announced.
Let’s see the list of these 13 Movies which will make 2018 – A Year of Biopics in Bollywood.
1. Accidental Prime Minister – In this Biopic Anupam Kher is going to play the Ex-Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The film is based on the 2014 memoir of the same name by Sanjaya Baru. It is directed by Vijay Gutte who is turning Director from this but the interesting aspect is that Hansal Mehta is writing it for the screen who has earlier made Shahid which was also a biopic based on the life of Lawyer Shahid Azmi. What we can’t wait is to see the casting apart from Anupam Kher. I mean who is going to play Mrs. Sonia Gandhi?
2. Super 30- This is under talk for a long time. Queen Director Vikas Bahl has taken rights from Anand Kumar to make a Biopic on his life. Anand Kumar, who is a renowned mathematician and teacher running a special school for underprivileged kids since 2002. With More than 390 students from his institute has been selected to IIT colleges, Mr. Anand gains international glory with even Discovery covered him in one of its documentaries. As far as we know, Hrithik Roshan is going to play Anand Kumar.
3. Manikarnika- With this Biopic, the Queen of our industry is literally turning into a Queen on screen. Kangana Ranaut is all set to play “Rani Laxmi Bai” in Manikarnika- The Queen Of Jhansi. Many of us have doubt about the title but Manikarnika was the original name of Rani Laxmi Bai, which makers have decided to pick as the main title. Earlier Sushmita Sen also tried to make a Biopic on the life of warrior queen of Jhansi but for some reasons, the film got shelved. Later, Ketan Mehta tried it for a long time. Allegedly, He even approached Kangana to play the title role. But now, We can see that Krish is directing this film whereas Bahubali Writer Mr. Vijayendra Prasad is writing the screenplay. TV Actress Ankita Lokhande is also going to play an important role in this feature. It was long due for Bollywood to make a movie on Legendary Laxmi Bai. We just hope it matches our expectations.
4. Gold- Based on the life of legendary hockey player Balbir Singh Sr., This Biopic covers the story of the first Gold Medal win by independent India in Olympics Games. This is a comeback film of director Reema Kagti who has earlier directed Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd and Talaash. The most interesting part of the project is that Akshay Kumar is collaborating with Excel Entertainment for the first time. This is gonna be one epic historical sports drama.
5. Soorma – Another Hockey Drama but this time a bit contemporary story. Soorma is based on the life of legendary hockey player Sandeep Singh who was paralyzed and wheelchair-bound for 2 years after an accidental gunshot injured him in 2006. The film’s tagline is “The Greatest Comeback Story of the Hockey Legend Sandeep Singh”. Fighting against all odds, Sandeep got back on his feet and made a stunning comeback in 2008. India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2009 under his captainship and went on to qualify for the London Olympics 2012. Casting can’t be perfect – Diljit Dosanjh and Taapsee Pannu. The film is directed by Shaad Ali, yes Saathiya and Okay Jaanu’s director.
6. Rakesh Sharma Biopic- India’s first cosmonaut – First man to go into space from India. We all know his name- Rakesh Sharma but we don’t know the story behind this man. Siddharth Roy Kapur is producing this film. Aamir Khan and Priyanka Chopra was supposed to do this film together but the latest development is that Aamir has walkred out of the project and now Shahrukh Khan is going to play the title role. Whatever is the cast going to be, We hope that we will see this film in 2018 only. Though chances are bleak.
7. Pad Man- According to Wikipedia, Arunachalam Muruganatham is a social entrepreneur from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. He is the inventor of a low-cost sanitary pad making machine and is credited for innovating grass-roots mechanisms for generating awareness about traditional unhygienic practices around menstruation in rural India. His mini-machines, which can manufacture sanitary pads for less than a third of the cost of commercial pads, have been installed in 23 of the 29 states of India. He is currently planning to expand the production of these machines to 106 nations. In 2014, TIME magazine placed him on its list of 100 Most Influential People in the World. In 2016, he was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India. Supposedly Twinkle Khanna chased him to get the right of his story. R. Balki has written the screenplay and directing this project. But interestingly a movie named “phullu” which got released unceremoniously has a very similar storyline.
8. Padmavati- Lot of people won’t accept this as a viable entry in this list as there is no historical proof of the existence of Rani Padmini of Chittor. But even if we ignore this fact, Padmavati has many real-life characters like Khilji and Ratan Singh. Though Padmavati is supposed to release on 1 Dec 2017 but then we all know what has happened. We just hope that film gets a proper release in 2018. Can’t you see Deepika in PRAYER MODE? Jokes apart! We want to watch it because end of the day it’s a Bhansali’s Film.
9. Dutt/Sanju- Sanjay Dutt’s Life story Plus Raj Kumar Hirani as Writer and Director and for the first time trying something out of his comfort zone. Plus Ranbir Kapoor playing the title role. Do we need more reasons to wait for this? Love, Thrill, Action, Drama, Ups, and Downs, This is gonna be one of the most anticipating films of 2018. I just hope that it matches to our expectations.
10. Gustakhiyan- We all heard about the famous Love Story of Sahir Ludhyanvi and Amrita Pritam but we definitely don’t know the whole story. Sanjay Leela Bhansali has announced this film with Priyanka Chopra long ago. Shahrukh Khan was supposed to play Sahir but then again there are obvious reasons that we are not going to see Shahrukh and Priyanka together on screen in near future. Most probably Sushant Singh Rajput is going to play Sahir now as per the rumors.
11. Mogul- Gulshan Kumar, the cassette king of India. His start was full of struggle but then his success was tremendous but his end was equally tragic. His company T Series is still biggest music company in India. Akshay Kumar is going to play the title role. This is going to be the second film of Akshay and Subhash Kapoor together after Jolly LLB2. We just hope that they don’t cut away the controversial side of his story and even try to throw a bit light on his murder.
12. Manto- The film stars Nawazuddin Siddiqui in the title character of the Indo-Pakistani author, writer Saadat Hasan Manto. Rasika Duggal plays the role of Manto’s wife named Safiah. The film is written and Directed by Nandita Das. Manto was a Pakistani writer, playwright, and author considered among the greatest writers of short stories in South Asian history. Though he was more famous for his controversial thoughts and portrayals of society. Das made a short film titled In Defence of Freedom, also starring Nawazuddin in the main role, and was released on YouTube on 23 March 2017. It was made as a prelude to the feature film. Believe me, the short film is good enough to raise the curiosity.
13. Thackray- We all know about the Late Bala Saheb Thackray. His control over the politics of Maharashtra was undoubtful. But no one ever tried to show his Biopic on screen before. Though Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar was inspired by him. But that was definitely more of a “Godfather’s” Indian remake than Thackray’s Biopic. This time it’s official and the expectations are sky high since we saw the teaser and Nawazuddin playing Bala Saheb with uncanny similarities.
We just hope that this formula works for Indian Cinema.
PS: We don’t mind to see some complete fictions too.Though we have another list where we have listed a full set of Biographies we would love to see on Indian Screen. Click on this link –
Biographies That Should Have Been Made In Bollywood
Luv Ranjan and Kartik Aryan are back with their 4th film together- Sonu Ke Tittu Ki Sweety. As crazy as the title sounds, the trailer looks equally whacky and hilarious. In one line, A best friend (Kartik Aryan) is trying to break the marriage of his buddy (Sunny Singh) because he wants to “Save” him from this girl (Nushrat).
When this Luv and Kartik first came together in 2012 in “Pyaar Ka Punchnama” – No one was expecting that this new director and this new face can create such magic among the boys that soon the film will gain a cult status. What actually worked there? Well, one can say hilarious dialogues and nice performances but gaining a cult status is something not in one’s control. It was actually the relatability. Each and every boy of the country who has watched the film somewhere able to connect with at least one or more male protagonists who were badly stuck in a relationship. Not only that end of the day the decoding of “Bro Code” by the director and writer Luv was a bullseye. The subtext that a brother cum friend is always standing beside you whenever you are going to face rejection or heartbreak is something that transcends to the young audience fabulously and who can forget the monologue of Kartik which was one of the most reposted and shared video among the college groups.
They tried a bit different thing from “AkaashVani” but failed. Nevertheless, even Akashvani ha a hint of Bromance Cinema a lot with the supporting characters.
Then they are back with “Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2” which became one of the most anticipated films of 2016. “Problem Kya Hai?” whenever someone says this line, one feels like starting the second monologue of Kartik in PKP2. This installment has taken the “Bromance Cinema” to another level where buddies are not only enjoying each other’s company but also standing up in each other’s thick and thin. It was an instant hit!
And now they are back with a bang. This is the time they are not subtle which I am liking it. The trailer itself says that it’s the Bromance Vs Romance. It’s a tough a fight no doubt but what makes it interesting the fact that Kartik and Nushrat are fighting over the guy which is unusual because in previous 3 films of Luv Ranjan, one thing that was constant that Kartik and Nushrat were paired together. Well, who knows maybe this time also they will end up together? Well, that may be a little predictable if that happens.
Nevertheless, This Bromance Cinema is long due in Hindi Films. We had friend’s films where 3 or 4 guys were going and having fun together but getting the nuances and peculiarities correct is now the forte of this Actor-Director couple. Being a girl it’s a bit odd to like this sort of cinema but believes me, inside their heart, every girl must be asking- How come Luv Ranjan decoded me so easily? Well, the answer must be hidden in his past. Who knows? But what we know is that we can watch this trailer a few more times. My only complaint is that Just the word “Chu**tiya” is overused. I am done with that word.
Watch the trailer here:
You may have liked or disliked the last year release of Ranbir Kapoor- “Jagga Jasoos” but few things about the movie was remarkable which no one can deny. Yes! The first obvious thing that comes to our mind was the songs and especially “Galti Se Mistake” and it’s choreography. The second thing which as an audience we tend to forget or ignore is editing.
With a record shoot of 4 years, Jagga Jasoos was a long story to tell and to maintain the pace and enthuse throughout the film only through songs and the beats was a humongous task for an editor. It sounds great that at Zee Cine Awards this year they have recognized the work beyond box office success. Ajay Sharma who was working as an editor in the industry since 2006, gets his due recognition from Jagga Jasoos. Earlier he as edited “Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2” last year. One may ask the question that why such a lengthy film won an editing award? What makes this film’s editing an award-winning work? Here are 5 Reasons –
Record Amount of Footage- The film has been shot over a period of 4 years with a lot of patience and hard work. But this results in the surplus amount of footage to edit which is always a challenge for an editor. Not only to put the everything on the timeline but to be honest towards the story and to maintain the pace is a tough task. You can imagine that it took almost 12 hours to watch just the train sequence rushes of a particular scene out of which only a few seconds ends up in the final edit of the film. Yeah! 12 Hours!
Unique Musical Film – Jagga’s biggest adventure was not on screen but behind the screen. Director Anurag Basu has picked up a challenge of making an all-in-all musical for Hindi Screen for the first time. What does that mean? It means there are songs on the 80-90% of the screen time. So it becomes a film which is going to be a reference on its own. There are musicals in Hollywood but then you cannot edit Indian Musicals with western sensibilities and when you know that there is no reference to the work you are doing, the work becomes difficult. Master Storytelling of Anurag Basu complimented by the editing of Ajay Sharma makes Jagga possible.
Episodic yet Bigger Story – Jagga’s story has many adventures as different episodes. Each adventure different from the other and yet one has to tell the wholesome story in the larger arc. A son is looking for his foster father. Makers have consciously taken a difficult path and they have also faced the heat from many people including the critics and a part of the audience but I am sure they knew what they were doing. It was this sort of storytelling by the editor and the director which makes Jagga a compelling watch to me at least and definitely a unique watch!
Action Based Film – Jagga Jasoos was a heavy action based film and it is a no hidden fact that editing of an action film is always difficult. With multiple shots, certain emotional pointsh shots of micro durations the whole editing becomes a tedious job and when you are editing a film like Jagga, one may tend to lose the perspective due to the tiresome job. Kudos to the editor that he maintained the perspective. Means Jagga slows down also at a certain emotional points which are extremely important for maintaining the emotional quotient of the story.
Children’s Film – End of the day Jagga Jasoos was a children film BUT with lots of brains. So it expects even the child audience to put their brains on the screen and watch it. Maintaining the entertainment, colors, and actions it should appeal to it’s audience which basically has the tendency to lose the concentration after a point. I remember the editor telling me as to how he used to show the parts of the edit to the daughters of Director Anurag Basu just to take their input as what they are liking and what they didn’t like. It easy to cut and edit what you like, it is always difficult to do it what others may like. Right?
As the character of Tooti Frooti explains the two sides of brain in an intial scene of the film, Jagga is definitely made with the Right Side (Creative) of the brain and with lots of heart. It would have been greater to hear that Jagga also won Best Cinematography and Best Actor but that’s just too much to expect from Indian Award Shows. Right? We wish that people will eventually understand the uniqueness of Jagga Jasoos and film will enter in the list of those timeless classics which were rejected initially but becomes a cult later.
हृषिकेश मुखर्जी के फ़िल्मी रंगमंच के ज़िन्दगी से भरे पांच फ़िल्मी किरदार
हृषिकेश मुखर्जी, सिनेमा का वो दीपक हैं जो तब तक जलता रहेगा जब तक सिनेमा रहेगी. हृषिदा जादूगर थे, सिनेमा के वो जादूगर जिनका जादू आज भी हमको मंत्रमुग्ध करता है. चाहे वो अनारी हो या आनंद, गुड्डी हो या गोलमाल, नौकरी हो या नमक हराम, खूबसूरत हो या चुपके चुपके, अनुपमा हो या सत्यकाम, बावर्ची हो या मेमदीदी, हर एक फिल्म एक सौगात है हम आमजनता के लिए. ये कहानियां उन्होंने इसलिए सुनायीं क्योंकि ये हमारी कहानियां थीं. आज उनका ९१वां जन्मदिन है…आइये मिलते हैं हृषिदा की फिल्मों सबसे जीवंत और अनूठे किरदारों से….
आनंद मरा नहीं, आनंद मरते नहीं
दिल्ली से जब आनंद सहगल अपना इलाज कराने मुंबई आता है तो मुंबई में वो एक डॉक्टर को छोड़कर किसी को भी नहीं जानता, बस इतना जानता है, वो अब ज्यादा जीने नहीं वाला. मुंबई आकर वो अपनी बची हुई ज़िन्दगी लोगों से दोस्ती करने में बिताता है. दोस्तों की ज़िन्दगी में खुशियाँ भरने में लगाता है, मरने से पहले यही उसका आखरी काम रह जाता है. वो अपने पेशे से मायूस डॉक्टर भास्कर को ज़िन्दगी का मतलब सिखाता है. वो डॉक्टर भास्कर को ये सिखाता है, की ज़िन्दगी लम्बी नहीं बड़ी होनी चाहिए.
अब आप ही बताइए, जब TO टू, DO डू, तो GO गू क्यों नहीं….
प्रोफेसर परिमल त्रिपाठी
धर्मेन्द्र ने कई शानदार फिल्में की हैं, पर वो अगर किसी एक किरदार के लिए हमेशा किलकारियों के साथ याद किये जाते हैं तो वो है प्रोफेसर परिमल त्रिपाठी, जो की उन्हें हृषिकेश मुखर्जी की फिल्म चुपके चुपके में मिला. फिल्म चुपके चुपके में प्रोफेसर परिमल त्रिपाठी का किरदार यक़ीनन बॉलीवुड के सबसे ज्यादा कॉमिक किरदारों में से है. प्रोफेसर त्रिपाठी के ‘जिज्जा जी‘, उनकी बीवी सुलेखा की नज़र में भगवान् हैं. जैसे एक मयान में दो तलवारें नहीं रह सकतीं वैसे ही एक मनमंदिर में दो भगवान् कैसे रहे. इसलिए बॉटनी के प्रोफेसर परिमल त्रिपाठी, पहुँच जाते हैं जीजा जी …के ‘जीवन में विश घोलने’… एक अत्यंत शुद्ध हिंदी बोलने वाला वाहनचालक यानी ड्राईवर बन के, फिर क्या है, जीजा जी की ज़िन्दगी नर्क हो जाती है और परिमल अपने मकसद में कामयाब हो जाता है.
ये सब तो हम ‘निर्मल आनंद ‘ के लिए कर रहे हैं
मंजू का किरदार यक़ीनन हृषिकेश मुखर्जी द्वारा रचे गए सबसे आज़ाद ख़याल किरदारों में से एक था, मंजू अल्हड है, शरारती है, बेहद खुश मिजाज़ है और सूरत ही नहीं, दिल से भी बड़ी खूबसूरत है.फिल्म आनंद के आनंद और फिल्म खूबसूरत की मंजू में काफी समानताएं हैं, आनंद की तरह उसे भी दोस्त बनाने का बड़ा शौक है, दोनों ही मानते हैं, की ज़िन्दगी जितनी हंसी ख़ुशी में गुज़रे उतना अच्छा. दोनों ही मानते हैं, की समय की तलवार के साए में ज़िन्दगी नहीं कट सकती, पर ख़ुशी बांटते हुए ज़िन्दगी जीने से वो अपने लिए ही नहीं दूसरों के लिए भी गुलज़ार हो जाती है इतना ही नहीं मंजू और आनंद दोनों को ही नियम तोड़ने का बड़ा शौक है, और दोनों ही ज़िन्दगी को अनमोल मानते हैं इसीलिए शायद आनंद हो या खूबसूरत,इन किरदारों के माध्यम से हृषिदा आपको ज़िन्दगी के पल पल को जीना सिखाते हैं. ज़िन्दगी जियो तो निर्मल आनंद के लिए, कहती है मंजू.
इट्स सो सिंपल तो बि हैप्पी, बट इट्स सो डिफिकल्ट तो बी सिंपल
रघु एक बावर्ची है, पर शान्ति निवास के अशांत निवासियों के लिए रघु फ़रिश्ता है. जब वो इस घर में आता है तो देखता है की परिवार रुपी माला के सभी फूल बिखरे हुए हैं, और मुर्जाये जा रहे हैं. वो धीरे धीरे इन्हें एक माला में पिरोता है और फिर चुप चाप निकल जाता है एक दुसरे अशांत घर की तलाश में जहां उसकी ज़रुरत है. आज के समय में कोई भी सुपरस्टार एक खाकी निक्कर वाला बावर्ची बनने को भले ही न राज़ी हो पर उस समय रघु को सुपरस्टार राजेश खन्ना ने शान के साथ अदा किया. ज़िन्दगी में खुशियाँ ज़रूरी हैं, हर कोई अपनी ज़िन्दगी खुश रहने के लिए ही जीता है, ये बावर्ची अनूठा है, ये बावर्ची झूठा है, ये बावर्ची भी आनंद, परिमल और मंजू की तरह बड़ी बकबक करता है पर इसकी बक बक में भी ज़िन्दगी की कई सीखें छुपी हुई हैं. ये बावर्ची बताता है की जीवन की खुशियाँ एक दुसरे को मुस्कुराने में ही हासिल की जा सकती हैं.
जिसका नाम भवानी शंकर हो वो तो पैदा होते ही बुद्धा हो हया समझो
रामप्रसाद और लक्ष्मनप्रसाद
याद आया कौन सी फिल्म की बात की जा रही है? बात की जा रही है बॉलीवुड की सबसे शानदार कोमेडिज़ में से एक गोलमाल की. फिल्म गोलमाल का रामप्रसाद मुसीबत का मारा है, उसको नौकरी की सख्त ज़रूरत है पर नौकरी देने वाले भवानी शंकर अजीब किस्म के इंसान हैं, जो इंसान को उसकी मूंछ और पहनावे से आंकते हैं, रामप्रसाद पहनावा तो बदल लेता है पर साथ ही नौकरी बचने के लिए उसको अपने जुड़वाँ भाई लक्षमणप्रसाद होने का नाटक भी करना पड़ता है. दोनों को मिलाकर कर अब उसका बस एक ही मकसद है, भवानीशंकर को ये सिखाना की किताब का कवर देखकर ये नहीं बताया जा सकता की उसके अन्दर क्या लिखा है. रामप्रसाद भी आनंद, रघु, परिमल और मंजू की तरह मस्त मौला है, नौटंकी करना उसे अच्छा लगता है और वो भी इन सब की तरह नियम और कायदे कानून में बंधी हुई ज़िन्दगी के खिलाफ है. हृषिदा द्वारा उकेरा गया रामप्रसाद उर्फ़ लक्ष्मनप्रसाद भारतीय सिनेमा पटल का वो किरदार है जो सदियों तक जिंदा रहेगा.
As Prasoon Joshi said – “Yeh Shehar Nahi Mehfil hai”, Dilli is always a fascinating cilli for Mumbai walla Filmmakers and hence many of the films tries to depicts the various sides of this amazing city.
No One Killed Jessica
“Kaat kaleja le gayi… Dilli“. Most real and hardcore description of Delhi and people living there. How the powerful people with the political approach can easily get away with a murder in our capital as the privileged high society was not brave enough to say the truth. Raj Kumar Gupta’s thriller is derived from the true incident and shows the cruel and rebellious side of Delhi.
2. Rang De Basanti – In this epic cinema directed by Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra takes us on the campus of Delhi University and then throw us on the road of activism which is quite prevalent around the monuments like Jantar Mantar and India Gate. The depiction of the Delhi youth is aptly mad and inspiring at the same time. It beautifully depicts the relevance of Bhagat Singh without getting over patriotic or delusional.
3. Dilli 6 – Again a Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Film. There is a saying – “You can take a man out of his city, but you cannot take the city of a man.” Mehra’s Delhi 6 is clearly exemplifying this fact. Though it focuses majorly a particular area of Delhi called Delhi 6, it still brings out the madness and the uniqueness of this metro city. Don’t we all love and sing this song in past – “Yeh Dilli Mere Yaar, Bas Ishq Mohabbat Pyaar”.
4. Delhi Belly- A gangster, Some Diamonds, A box of shit and madness of Delhi Nights. This madcap screenplay of Akshat Verma took a long time to get picked by producers but it definitely a satirical take on Delhi’s culture. Coming closer to the “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron” ‘s humor level, Delhi Belly may not be the most realistic picture of Delhi but somewhat is definitely relatable.
5. Khosla Ka Ghosla- This fabulous National Award winning satire written by Jaideep Sahni is no less than a masterpiece. It marvelously explores the aspirations of a middle-class family living in New Delhi and how this capital is captured by land mafias. From a great ensemble to the depiction of the city, Dibaker Banerjee nailed it in this movie.
6. Do Doni Chaar – Do you remember Duggal Sir’s scooter going around on the roads of the city of Delhi? Well if you have watched this one of the best-written films by Habib Faisal you can’t forget Duggal Family, their colony and their aspiration to get a 4 wheeler. Again the middle-class picturization of the city is perfect and entertaining in this super entertaining flick which was a comeback of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh on the cinema screen after a gap of decades.
7. Rockstar – Though this love story of a Rockstar travels many parts of the world, there is a huge part shot in Delhi and it beautifully captures the spots where lovebirds try to spend their time in this bustling city. Don’t you start singing “Ting Ling Ling” from “Katiya Karoon”.
8. Band Baja Baarat – You can’t finish talking about Delhi If are not talking about the Big Fat Wedding Functions of the city. Lights, Music, Dance, Booze and madness writer Habib Faizal picks everything of Delhi Weddings and put it in a narrative of Bittu and Shruti. From Janakpuri to Chhatarpur Gardens this film covers it all.
9. Aisha – Where most of the films cover the lower class and middle class of the capital, Aisha is a beautiful take on relationships of the upper-class society of Delhi. Aisha and her bunch of friends is a clear depiction of what city’s rich youngsters are usually up to and yes also the class theme weddings plus shopping!!!!
10 . Oye Lucky Lucky Oye – Another gem by Dibaker Banerjee which captures the twisted side of Delhi through the eyes of a thief. You will not only get on the roads of Delhi but also inside the houses of Delhi along with Lucky.
Have we missed anything? Please let us know in the comments!
We all know that our Film Industry is struggling with the lack of original ideas and concepts. Even India’s official entry for the Academy Awards – Oscars for this year – Newton is facing charges of plagiarism as it has a lot of similarities with Iranian Film – The secret Ballot. In the industry where writers are at the lowest of the food chain of filmmaking, it is very difficult to find original stories but India is a country of more than a billion and if we just try to pick real stories like – “Neerja” and “Dangal” there will be enough original content to conquer the invasion of International Entertainment.
So let’s find out what we can do –
1. APJ ABDUL KALAM- The story of a Newspaper boy from Rameshwaram to the President of India is definitely is a story that needs to be told. A man, his determination, his passion and his simplicity is something that inspired and transcends to every Indian and even to the people outside India. This is one story we would love to see coming alive on the screen.
2. SATYENDRA NATH BOSE – was an Indian physicist from Bengal specializing in theoretical physics. He is best known for his work on quantum mechanics in the early 1920s, providing the foundation for Bose-Einstein statistics and the theory of the Bose-Einstein condensate. A Fellow of the Royal Society, he was awarded India’s second highest civilian award, the Padma Vibhushan in 1954 by the Government of India.The class of particles that obey Bose-Einstein statistics, bosons, was named after Bose by Paul Dirac. Can we expect “A beautiful mind” sort of science drama here?
3. MAJOR DHYANCHAND – Though Shetty Sisters (Aarti & Pooja ) have acquired the rights of making the movie on this sports legend of India Major Dhyan Chand long time ago, the development of the film seems dicey and looks like it’s still a dream to see some one playing this great sports person on screen. We all know that National Sports Day is celebrated on the birthday of this forgotten hero of our country who face to face clash with Adolf Hitler was one of the most dramatic incidents of his story. We all are waiting for this story to be told soon.
4. RAVI SHANKAR- World Class Musician. The face of Indian Classical Music. 2 Marriages, Failed Relationships. Father of famous world-class musicians and their rivalry. From Grammy to Bharat Ratna, Pandit Ravi Shankar’s life story is definitely a story of a true artist. But can we get the rights from his daughters?
5. ISMAT CHUGTAI- Ismat Chugtai popularly known as Ismat Aapa was a fierce Urdu writer who was not afraid to talk about female sexuality at the repressed times. Surrounded by the controversies of her writings, Ismat Aapa was never apologetic about her work. We all know the famous case of “Lihaaf” and the proceedings of it. This liberal Muslim woman was a voice that definitely needs to tell again on the screen.
6. GURU DUTT- We all say that screen is inspired by the real life, but in case of Guru Dutt, his life imitates his own film “Kagaz Ke Phool” and “Pyaasa”. The legendary filmmaker had a successful career but failed love life and he finally ends up his own life. What leads to that? Why he also said –“Yeh Duniya Agar Mil bhi Jaye toh kya hai?” Aren’t we all still curious about him?
- 7. SANJIV KUMAR – Very fewer people know this fact that this brilliant actor was in love with Hema Malini and even proposed her but after a period of time Hema has chosen Dharmendra over him and he lived rest of his life unmarried. Though he played a lot of old aged characters on screen he himself died young. This one-sided love story of a great actor is definitely something to look for.
8. CHAVI RAJAWAT – You may not be heard of her but her story is no less. After doing MBA Chavi left her job and came back to her roots, her village Soda in Rajasthan and fought the election to become the youngest sarpanch ever without getting affiliated to any political party. The development work that she has done on the grass root level is really inspirational. Can we see this as a “Swades 2” but this time with a female lead?
9. RANI KARNAVATI – Again a story very few people know. This brave queen of Gharwal region fiercely protects her kingdom from the invasion of Mughals. It was pretty famous that she used to cut the nose of anyone who used to intrude. Her folklore is pretty famous in Uttrakhand. Sanjay Leela Bhansali / Kangana Ranaut – Are you guys thinking for a collaboration? This might be the best.
10. KISHORE KUMAR – A singer, A comedian, an accidental Actor, a flamboyant personality, romantic and extremely moody, quirky and talented. Kishore Kumar was a true artist but an amazing human being. Her relationships and friendships were always talks of the tinsel town. Last we heard that Anurag Basu wants to make this biopic with Ranbir Kapoor. We just hope that Jagga won’t disturbs this collaboration.
You may have watched these films many times but do you know that sometimes due to various reasons the editors and makers of these films have taken out some scenes from the final theatrical release? Well sometimes they are not just required and sometimes just because of the excessive length of the film, editors have to take such harsh decisions. We have handpicked here 8 of such scenes which you would love to watch!
- TAMASHA – IMTIAZ ALI – This one scene between Ved and Tara brings out the complexities of their relationship so beautifully that it leaves you speechless for few seconds. Ranbir Kapoor prooves that why even after so many debacles at Box Office, he is the best we have got.
2. DEAR ZINDAGI -GAURI SHINDE – Gauri Shinde who won Best Debutant Director from her first film English Vinglish always writes her own films. In her second venture she picked a story of an utterly complicated character which you may find a bit irritating and unlikable sometimes but in this particular scene which was edited out of the final cut, she says what we all want to say at the certain point of time in our lives. Alia Bhatt nailed it!
3. ENGLISH VINGLISH – GAURI SHINDE – We were just talking about Shinde but we can’t finish talking that without talking about English Vinglish. There were so many moments in this beautiful film and many of them just can’t make its final cut. The journey of Shashi (Sridevi) is as adorable as these edited scenes.
4. YEH JAWANI HAI DIWANI – AYAN MUKHERJI – Though one may think that Ayan’s better-written work was “Wake Up Sid”, His second venture “Yeh Jawaani Hai Diwani” has it’s own moments. One very beautiful moment was edited out of the final cut. Loved the philosphy yet simplicity of this scene.
5. LAGAAN – ASHUTOSH GOWARIKAR – This Oscar Nominated movie was no less than a master class of cinema. Though was a sports cinema but it has theatrics and music at the right place which makes it as Bollywood as anything else. Watch this piece of the scene where the ensemble is singing and practicing for the cricket match.
6. SHOLAY – RAMESH SIPPY – So here comes the most awaited one. We all know everything about this cult classic. There is nothing which is unknown to the Indian Cinema lovers about Sholay. We all knew about the alternative ending of Sholay but have you watched it? Here it is!
7. BAND BAAJA BARAAT – MANISH SHARMA – If we look back to this film, it was a very important film as it gave us the two biggest stars of the present time – Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma. The story of Shruti and Bittu has many relatable yet adorable moments but some of them were taken out from the final cut. Here are they.
8. KAL HO NAA HO – NIKHIL ADVANI – Many would disagree with me, but I think this was the best-written film by Karan Johar. The ensemble and the performances everything was so lovable. We can’t get enough of Kal Ho Naa Ho. So let’s have some more. PS: You will see Zohara Sehgal and Kamini Kaushal also.
9. SWADES- ASHUTOSH GOWARIKAR – There are only two types of people in this world. One who likes “Swades” and one who does not understand Swades. There was a very beautiful song composed by AR Rahmaan – Aahista Aahista which was not in the final cut of the film but I highly recommend you to listen to this before you go to bed. Nostalgia Guaranteed!
Tells us if we have missed anything.